Creating a SQL db User
1) Start Enterprise manager or SQL management studio
2) Expand Security >> Logins
3) Right click and create new Login
4) On the General tab, create the new login.
Set SQL Server authentication (this will require you to set a password)
If you uncheck Enforce password policy, then there will be no checking on password strength and the passwords won't be aged.
Set the default database to the database which the user should have access to.
5) The user should only need public access, as they will only be reading data
6) Select the Map option to link the user to the login. Otherwise, you will need to create a separate user.
Select the Map to master database as well; only needs public role for the master db. Also set the db_datareader role for that user.
7) Select OK to create login and user.